Miskellys, Beyond Furniture in so many ways!
At Miskelly Furniture we take Beyond Furniture seriously. Miskelly’s not only goes beyond furniture with price, selection, fun and service, but we are also way beyond furniture when it comes to helping meet the needs of our community and environment. Miskelly’s has implemented many earth friendly initiatives to do our part in protecting our natural resources. These initiatives help our community, environment and simply make for strong business practice. The following are a few ways we have become an “Earth Friendly” organization:
- Recycling office paper, pallets, plastics, cardboard and metal materials.
- Densify all Styrofoam material with ratio 90 to 1 which is in turn is recycled.
- Zoned lighting in our distribution center so lights are turned off when work is no longer being performed in a specific area
- Motion sensor lighting in distribution center aisles, eliminating the cost to light the aisles when not in use
- Installation of economical energy-saving fixtures and bulbs throughout the facility
- Installation of a state of the art “Chiller Plant” for the optimum energy efficient HVAC
- GreenGard furniture care products
At Miskelly’s, we believe the steps we take today towards a cleaner environment will result in a better future for our company and the people of our community. Miskelly’s has been a leader in Mississippi reducing waste through its recycling programs. In addition, Miskelly’s has been sensitive to the environment by intelligently developing its real estate projects that maintain and enhance green space and water quality.
Company Recycling Initiatives
- Miskelly Distribution Center in Pearl, Ms, recycles cardboard, plastic, polystyrene, wooden skids, paper, mattresses, and florescent light bulbs.
- Miskelly’s is one of the few furniture companies in the United States to use a polystyrene densifier. The densifier melts plastic and polystyrene at a reduction rate of 90:1, and the materials are then recycled. The use of this machine will virtually eliminate waste from being added to landfills.
- Miskelly’s recycles furniture, including usable parts by donating them to Gateway Rescue Mission and other charitable organizations.
- Miskelly’s recycles almost 500 tons of cardboard annually. That is equivalent to 9,000 trees!
- 9,000 trees filter up to 500,000 pounds of pollutants from the air each year.
- 500 tons of recycled cardboard saves 1,850,000 pounds of lumber and 12,000,000 gallons of water.
- Recycling 500 tons of cardboard saves over four thousand cubic yards of landfill space.
- 500 tons of cardboard recycled saves enough energy to power a TV for 15,000 hours.
- Recycling corrugated cardboard cuts the emissions of sulfur dioxide in half and uses about 25% less energy than making cardboard from virgin pulp.
Environmental engineers are busy working on new and improved ways to recycle plastic materials. At the present time, recycling plastic is not without its share of problems. In order to salvage the material, reprocessing can only be done at low temperatures, causing some recycled plastic to be vulnerable to contamination. Though plastic recycling is in its early stages, Miskelly’s is excited to encourage and demonstrate sensible usage of this valuable resource, which would otherwise require 400 years to break down!
- Miskelly’s currently recycles over 52,000 lbs. of plastic each year!
- Plastic can take up to 400 years to breakdown in a landfill.
- Much of the recycled plastic ends up as low-grade plastic lumber which may be used in furniture.
Miskelly’s is one of the few furniture companies in the country to recycle polystyrene. Polystyrene (Styrofoam) takes 1,000 years to break down in a landfill.